1. Gather materials: yellow, red, and white beads, black tube beads, black thread, tapestry (large) needle, and black elastic waistband.
2. Measure about one arm length of black thread, thread the needle.
3. Tie a knot around a white bead at three bottom of the black thread.
4. Begin beading pattern: 4 white beads, 1 black tube, 4 red beads, 1 black tube, 4 yellow beads, 1 black tube, 4 white beads (stop here for "small" size kids), 1 black tube, 4 red beads, 1 black tube, 4 yellow beads (stop here for "big" size kids)
5. Sew the strand of beads onto the black waist band through the black elastic
6. Knot the top of the strand 2 or 3 times to make sure it is secure.
7. Move about 2 fingers width from the first strand to the next spot for the next strand. Continue bead strands until you have about 1 strand per inch on your kids waist.
8. Trim the elastic waistband to for your kid if necessary. Sew the ends of the elastic together.
9. You now have a complete Maori style Tahitian short for your kids! Check the website for a picture of the sample. :)